Skip to main content

6-Month Old Baby's Daily Routine

Since my last post, I thought it might be a good idea to log E's routine at 6-months just so I can see how much it changes over the coming months. Her routine is based on recommendations made by Dr. Marc Weissbluth in his book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

Morning


E wakes up between 6 and 7 AM in the morning. She has dropped her morning mini-catnap so sad for slumbering me.

She spends time literally frolicking with her dad till 8 AM after which I wrap her in our Flo carrier and take the fuzzball out for a walk. We're back by 8:30 AM and we start the naptime routine for her morning nap. I draw the curtains, change her diapers, nurse her, and then set her down in her crib by 8:45 AM. 

She wakes up from this nap by 10 AM. I use her nap time to steam some fruit or veg so that it's the right temperature by the time she wakes up Pro-tip: freeze a porcelain plate and chuck the steamed produce on it to get it to the right temperature for baby. She gnaws on her food for around 35 minutes after which I wipe her clean and set her down for some alone playtime while I clean the mess she has made and give the canine E's leftovers.

Afternoon


At 11 AM, I get her ready for her massage and bath and we're usually done by 11:35 AM. I get her into her clothes, draw the curtains, nurse her, and it's back into her crib by noon. She wakes up from this nap by 2 PM. This gives me time to have lunch and catch up on TV shows. We play till 3:30 PM and then it's back to our bedroom for the evening nap - curtains drawn, nappy changed, nursed, and put down in her cot by 3:45 PM. 

The evening nap has been getting shorter over the last month. When we started at 3-months, she would sleep 45 minutes to 1 hour but these days, it's just around 35 minutes. Once she's up from this nap, depending on her mood, she either gets to gnaw on some more fruit or we go out for a stroll.

If she's calm I serve her food in the balcony while she watches the canine play fetch with me. But if she's a little cranky, I tie her to my back and we head out for a walk around the dusty neighbourhood. The Tibetan rucksack carry is like her snooze button; once she's in, I don't hear a peep from her. Although I have to keep talking to her to keep her from actually snoozing.

Whatever the form of entertainment, we're done by 5:30 PM after which she either has alone playtime or we Hangout with the grandparents till 6 PM at which point I start her bedtime routine.

Bedtime


E's bedtime routine consists of a rinse in warm water in the bathroom sink doubly important since she has started BLW, a short massage with lotion (firm downward strokes), and wearing her sleep-suit while I sing Coldplay's Magic This is our song - she very upset if I don't sing this exact song while I'm helping her with her sleep-suit. Then we nurse for as long as she likes before we cuddle, kiss, and I lay her down in the cot by 6:30 PM

She's fast asleep by 7 PM and I only really hear from her again around 2 AM for a feed and nappy change, and then again around 5 or 6 AM.

One day. Sniff.

Next on Headbath! Another review of a family-friendly restaurant.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing With Baby's First Cold

E caught her first cold on 14/09/2014. From me. I did everything I could to protect her from my illness my hands were raw from washing . Still, she woke up with a runny nose on that fateful Sunday morning. I messaged E's paediatrician who recommended that I give E half a dropperful of T-minic drops, two times a day. T-minic apparently eases symptoms such as a runny nose, stuffy nose, and sneezing !  Generally mistrustful of medical practitioners, I quickly Googled, 'T-minic.' Which was just as well, because  the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) advises parents to refrain from administering cold and cough medicine to infants below the age of 2 . The active ingredients in T-minic are chlorphenamine maleate makes a person sleepy and phenylephrine hydrochloride a decongestant , both of which are contraindicated by the USFDA for infants under the age of 2. After having conducted research on usage of such medication, the USFDA found that that reports of harm to ch

Separate. Connect. Separate. Connect.

If you've ever gone through my posts and decided that I sound like a sanctimonious mommy blogger, you're probably right. I have one daughter and I'm dispensing potty training advice? The intent isn't to dish out spoons full of self-aggrandisement. This website is one of the many ways for me to say that I was a harried mother. That I tried. And failed. Many times. But I kept trying until something worked. Can Attachment Theory Explain All Our Relationships? is writer Bethany Saltman's   essay in the New York Magazine, in which she analyses and compares her attachment to her mother with her attachment to her daughter who is now 11-years old. Ms. Saltman writes of feeling lonely and overwhelmed in the early days of motherhood and making scary faces and muttering angrily at her nonplussed baby. Words that mothers are terrified to confess to one another. The article made me think about the evolving nature of my attachment to 2-and-a-half-year old E. Before she

Mourning the End of Breastfeeding

I breastfed E for 26 months. It's been only a few weeks, and I don't even remember the exact date. One day she asked, I said no, she fussed about it for a bit but didn't cry or insist. And that was it. I had breastfed for the last time and I didn't even know. In hindsight, I suppose I did know, because the last feed was different from all the feeds that came before it. In the last one, it was me and her, sitting in our nursing chair lit by the blue-green from her nightlight - both only as old as she is. As we've sat hundreds of times, the only ones awake in the quiet nighttime house, she lost in thought, and me, staring at her, willing at her to be the person I know in my bones she is. In the last feed, she watched me closely, something she rarely does. She always liked to unfocus a little, puzzle out her world while the repetitive motions of her mouth made her verdant brain, process the individual tendrils of life. She may notice me once in a while, giggle whe