Skip to main content

BLW in India

On every packet of infant food and formula, there's a "note" that says mother's milk is best for an infant for at least 6 months.

A month ago, I had (rather imperiously) written about the benefits of delaying solids and starting E with something called Baby-Led Weaning or BLW.

The central tenet of BLW is to allow the child to decide what to eat and how much of it to eat. I was completely convinced of its benefits when we started E on solids. For her first meal, she was given a tray of steamed carrots, beans, and apples. She gnawed on everything for a bit, and then dropped it on the ground to our very grateful dog.

E's first meal

Since E doesn't have a genetic history of food allergies, I was introducing a new fruit or vegetable every 24 to 48 hours. As such, she tasted pear, beetroot, broccoli, and potato. The warning that the book by Gill Rapley contains about BLW being messy should have been in red lettering; all caps; in bold; underlined; in font size 72; and highlighted in neon green.

Between catching bits of food and fending off our dog, baby-led weaning was taking its toll on me. E found it hilarious that she could drop her food to a dog who would dutifully trot up and snarf it down what self-respecting dog eats broccoli?. Ergo, no food was being eaten (by the baby; the dog was getting a well-balanced diet); E was learning how to feed the mutt rather than feed herself; and my dog was learning the annoying habit of beggary.

At least we don't have a cat.

Changes needed to be made. I tried feeding E a little bit of banana mashed between my fingers. She made a face and promptly spat it out. I gave her other fruit and veg with no luck. The baby didn't know how to swallow anything other than breastmilk.

On a friend's suggestion, I mashed up half an avocado with some breastmilk so that she understands that this food can be swallowed. Unfortunately, as long as she was sitting up, she would spit out anything placed in her mouth. Then, on my mother's suggestion based on experience with me I tried feeding her the avocado mixture with her lying down on my lap. Success!

A few days of lap feeding and I now had some measure of confidence with the spoon. However, I found that our normal metal spoons were hurting E's tootsie gums. Switching to these silicone-tipped spoons was sheer brilliance because it doubles as a teether during feeding time.

Other gear I use to feed include, this Phillips Avent blender set that comes with 6 storage containers and a wet grinder and these Tupperware bowls, which are great because they have a little handle for the feeder to hold E gets super excited about consuming food and start banging her hands on the table. I needed a firm grip on the container to avoid its contents ending up everywhere but in baby's mouth. Now, I steam fruit or veg in the microwave; allow it to cool for a bit; and purée it with some water in the mini-blender. Et voila, breakfast and dinner are served!

L to R: Munchkin Spoon, Avent Blender Set, Tupperware Bowl

As I mentioned in an earlier post. I think it's important for E to learn how to feed herself. So in addition to spoon-feeding her, I also offer her steamed matchstick-sized pieces of whatever is in her purée. This way, she still learns how to chew and move food from the front of her mouth to the back AND her tummy gets full. Moreover, it's a great way to keep her occupied when we're in a restaurant.

Three weeks into feeding E purées and we're having a blast - I love thinking up flavour combinations and she loves her daily outing to the whole foods market. She enjoys being fed off a spoon while I've actually managed to eliminate two daytime breastmilk feeds. If my husband is at home to watch E, I can actually go out for a 4 hour stretch twice a day!

I suppose I could've been a BLW purist and stuck to only finger foods. But it was taking too long. Gill Rapley's book says that it can take up to three months for baby to connect playing with her veggies with hunger satiation. As E crossed the 6-month milestone, I was beginning to get tired of feeding her 10 to 12 times a day just 3 feeds less than newborn stage. I was exhausted from planning our outings to match feeding times and treating trips to the salon like a military sortie.

Breastfeeding is the best choice a mother can make for her baby but it's a choice a woman makes about her body. The day you start regretting that choice is the day you need to think about alternatives.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing With Baby's First Cold

E caught her first cold on 14/09/2014. From me. I did everything I could to protect her from my illness my hands were raw from washing . Still, she woke up with a runny nose on that fateful Sunday morning. I messaged E's paediatrician who recommended that I give E half a dropperful of T-minic drops, two times a day. T-minic apparently eases symptoms such as a runny nose, stuffy nose, and sneezing !  Generally mistrustful of medical practitioners, I quickly Googled, 'T-minic.' Which was just as well, because  the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) advises parents to refrain from administering cold and cough medicine to infants below the age of 2 . The active ingredients in T-minic are chlorphenamine maleate makes a person sleepy and phenylephrine hydrochloride a decongestant , both of which are contraindicated by the USFDA for infants under the age of 2. After having conducted research on usage of such medication, the USFDA found that that reports of harm to ch

Separate. Connect. Separate. Connect.

If you've ever gone through my posts and decided that I sound like a sanctimonious mommy blogger, you're probably right. I have one daughter and I'm dispensing potty training advice? The intent isn't to dish out spoons full of self-aggrandisement. This website is one of the many ways for me to say that I was a harried mother. That I tried. And failed. Many times. But I kept trying until something worked. Can Attachment Theory Explain All Our Relationships? is writer Bethany Saltman's   essay in the New York Magazine, in which she analyses and compares her attachment to her mother with her attachment to her daughter who is now 11-years old. Ms. Saltman writes of feeling lonely and overwhelmed in the early days of motherhood and making scary faces and muttering angrily at her nonplussed baby. Words that mothers are terrified to confess to one another. The article made me think about the evolving nature of my attachment to 2-and-a-half-year old E. Before she

Mourning the End of Breastfeeding

I breastfed E for 26 months. It's been only a few weeks, and I don't even remember the exact date. One day she asked, I said no, she fussed about it for a bit but didn't cry or insist. And that was it. I had breastfed for the last time and I didn't even know. In hindsight, I suppose I did know, because the last feed was different from all the feeds that came before it. In the last one, it was me and her, sitting in our nursing chair lit by the blue-green from her nightlight - both only as old as she is. As we've sat hundreds of times, the only ones awake in the quiet nighttime house, she lost in thought, and me, staring at her, willing at her to be the person I know in my bones she is. In the last feed, she watched me closely, something she rarely does. She always liked to unfocus a little, puzzle out her world while the repetitive motions of her mouth made her verdant brain, process the individual tendrils of life. She may notice me once in a while, giggle whe