Skip to main content

The Paradox of Being a SAHM - Am I a SAHM or Part 2

This post is part 2 of a three part series exploring the conundrum of modern motherhood. Read part 1.

Am I a SAHM?

While the "housewife" just makes sure her family is clothed and fed, the SAHM clothes hers in hand spun, vegetable-dyed, Cottage Emporium cotton and feeds them organic quinoa salads everyday. Rather than spending her day phoning her friends about her domestic accomplishments, the SAHM will flood her social media with lomo filter applied photographs of health food and responsibly-sourced clothing, and happy baby smiles. And maybe blog about it.

SAHMs, in this brave new post-housewife world, now feel the need to justify their choice to stay at home because they don't have a fat pay check to show for their domestic accomplishments. They occupy the other end of the spectrum, treating their home life with the kind of zeal most of us would reserve for monetary remuneration only.

In raising E, I find myself wanting to hone my domesticity - cook great meals, keep a reasonably organised and colour coördinated home (with pretty labels on all the things) - while retaining a part of who I was before I had E. I wonder what effect social media has to do with me wanting this. And how all of this reeks of home making in the 1970s. Smart women who, for lack of education or social stigma, were prevented from going out to work. They kept their houses gorgeous, their families nourished, and their persons stylish. All of this without Instagram.

Even if no one's ever said this to me, I often ask myself if I'm dishonouring those women of generations past who fought for my right to be educated and go to work when I could (or is it should) just pay someone to take care of my baby. After all, babies really only need food and naps and any idiot could manage that.

My mother worked outside the home, took care of us, and cooked every day. She's a neat freak so she also cleaned every day. My parents juggled it so well that one of them was always at home with me. Amma didn't need to work but did because it was important to her. Even at their busiest, my parents never left me in the care of a maid but a lot of my friends' parents did and it showed (I knew an Arab kid who spoke English with a Filipino accent because he learnt the language from his nanny).

Before we had E, the husband and had talked about gender roles and how both of us didn't want a maid to be E's primary caregiver. Since he has a few years on me in the profession, he was making better money so it made sense for him to occupy the traditional gender role of chief breadwinner. But still, it feels as though I need to earn my keep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dealing With Baby's First Cold

E caught her first cold on 14/09/2014. From me. I did everything I could to protect her from my illness my hands were raw from washing . Still, she woke up with a runny nose on that fateful Sunday morning. I messaged E's paediatrician who recommended that I give E half a dropperful of T-minic drops, two times a day. T-minic apparently eases symptoms such as a runny nose, stuffy nose, and sneezing !  Generally mistrustful of medical practitioners, I quickly Googled, 'T-minic.' Which was just as well, because  the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) advises parents to refrain from administering cold and cough medicine to infants below the age of 2 . The active ingredients in T-minic are chlorphenamine maleate makes a person sleepy and phenylephrine hydrochloride a decongestant , both of which are contraindicated by the USFDA for infants under the age of 2. After having conducted research on usage of such medication, the USFDA found that that reports of harm to ch

Separate. Connect. Separate. Connect.

If you've ever gone through my posts and decided that I sound like a sanctimonious mommy blogger, you're probably right. I have one daughter and I'm dispensing potty training advice? The intent isn't to dish out spoons full of self-aggrandisement. This website is one of the many ways for me to say that I was a harried mother. That I tried. And failed. Many times. But I kept trying until something worked. Can Attachment Theory Explain All Our Relationships? is writer Bethany Saltman's   essay in the New York Magazine, in which she analyses and compares her attachment to her mother with her attachment to her daughter who is now 11-years old. Ms. Saltman writes of feeling lonely and overwhelmed in the early days of motherhood and making scary faces and muttering angrily at her nonplussed baby. Words that mothers are terrified to confess to one another. The article made me think about the evolving nature of my attachment to 2-and-a-half-year old E. Before she

Mourning the End of Breastfeeding

I breastfed E for 26 months. It's been only a few weeks, and I don't even remember the exact date. One day she asked, I said no, she fussed about it for a bit but didn't cry or insist. And that was it. I had breastfed for the last time and I didn't even know. In hindsight, I suppose I did know, because the last feed was different from all the feeds that came before it. In the last one, it was me and her, sitting in our nursing chair lit by the blue-green from her nightlight - both only as old as she is. As we've sat hundreds of times, the only ones awake in the quiet nighttime house, she lost in thought, and me, staring at her, willing at her to be the person I know in my bones she is. In the last feed, she watched me closely, something she rarely does. She always liked to unfocus a little, puzzle out her world while the repetitive motions of her mouth made her verdant brain, process the individual tendrils of life. She may notice me once in a while, giggle whe